Are the Feds Wimps or What?

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Mon Jul 22 08:43:36 PDT 2002

> Duncan Frissell[SMTP:frissell at panix.com]
>

> So far the massive crackdown by the Feds that has stripped me of my civil
> liberties hasn't managed to do much. They have to work a bit harder.
>
> I'm back to not showing ID to get into work just like before the war.
>
> The states where I choose not to obtain a drivers license have upped
> their ID requirements for initial license applications but I already have
> one and don't patronize them in any case. They still let foreigners drive
> with foreign licenses so I will become a foreigner if they get too
> uppity.
>
> Flight delays only slightly worse than usual (particularly since I mostly
> fly internationally and have always shown my passport). Domestic flight
> ID fascism is 6 years old this August so no change there.
>
> As far as we know, only a little more than 1000 detained out of a pop of
> 270 megs. I was expecting that we would at least make WWII levels --
> 200,000+ out of a population of 132 megs. I guess there could be a few
> more internees but they'd be tough to hide. Too many others would note
> their absence.
>
> I thinks the Feds are just to wimpy to indulge in actual oppression these
> days. At least on a wholesale basis.
>
> Maybe I'm wrong but I need more evidence first.
>
> --
> Posted by Duncan Frissell to The Technoptimist at 7/20/2002 9:06:27 PM
>
> Powered by Blogger Pro

Well, the other possible interpretation is that the Feds are not
black-at-heart, Big Brother, neo Stalinist fascist JBTs
pouncing on any opportunity to make confetti of the Bill of Rights;
but rather are actually trying to respond to 9/11 with a minimal
impact on US Citizens.

...but of course, that would be an unpopular interpretation on
this mailing list.

--------

The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Peter Trei