Are the Feds Wimps or What?

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Mon Jul 22 08:15:15 PDT 2002

So far the massive crackdown by the Feds that has stripped me of my civil
liberties hasn't managed to do much. They have to work a bit harder.

I'm back to not showing ID to get into work just like before the war.

The states where I choose not to obtain a drivers license have upped
their ID requirements for initial license applications but I already have
one and don't patronize them in any case. They still let foreigners drive
with foreign licenses so I will become a foreigner if they get too
uppity.

Flight delays only slightly worse than usual (particularly since I mostly
fly internationally and have always shown my passport). Domestic flight
ID fascism is 6 years old this August so no change there.

As far as we know, only a little more than 1000 detained out of a pop of
270 megs. I was expecting that we would at least make WWII levels --
200,000+ out of a population of 132 megs. I guess there could be a few
more internees but they'd be tough to hide. Too many others would note
their absence.

I thinks the Feds are just to wimpy to indulge in actual oppression these
days. At least on a wholesale basis.

Maybe I'm wrong but I need more evidence first.

--
Posted by Duncan Frissell to The Technoptimist at 7/20/2002 9:06:27 PM