Which universe are we in? (tossing tennis balls into spinning props)

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Jul 15 11:32:15 PDT 2002

At 03:27 PM 7/15/02 +0100, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
>> Optimizzin Al-gorithym wrote:
>
>> And while QM can't help you with a particular atom, it also doesn't
say
>> that its impossible that knowledge of internal states of the atom
>> wouldn't help you predict its fragmentation.
>
>Yes it does.
>
>Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Ring a Bell?

The uncertainty principle says that there is a limit on the information
about
position and change in position that you can collect.  It does not rule
out
internal states.  For instance, you could generate particles with a
certain property
which you do not have to measure to know that they have that property.

It is a logical mistake to think that because you can't see it in 2002,
you can't ever
measure it, or it doesn't exist.  When something appears 'random', it is
because of
(wholly normal) ignorance on our part.   Sometimes 'randomness' is used
shut off analytic machinery, much like 'God'  (this latter idea is
Minsky's).