Money is about expected future value....nothing more, nothing less

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Dec 8 10:01:30 PST 2002

On Sunday, December 8, 2002, at 09:26  AM, Steve Schear wrote:

> At 06:19 PM 12/8/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>> Errata: "companies are forbidden from accepting them as payment" is,
>> of
>> course, "companies are REQUIRED TO accept them as payment".
>>
>> Sorry.
>>
>> Mark

Mark cited the Bank of England, not U.S. law. I don't know what British
law is in this regard.

But I will tell you that the notion that U.S. dollars must be accepted
as "payment" in the U.S. (using the variant that corrects Mark's
typographical error above) is false.

The language is along the lines of "this note good for all debts public
and private." This does not stop parties from agreeing to transfers in
yak brains, or houses, or gold, or tantalum.

It says that if Alice agrees to pay Bob 50 dollars ($50), with no
special payment instructions agreed to, and Alice at some point gives
Bob a $50 piece of U.S. currency, she has fulfilled her debt obligation
under U.S. law. I surmise, but have not verified, that this sort of
language was added to banknotes to better ensure that people accepted
the banknotes as being equivalent to specie (gold and silver).

--Tim May
"Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid.  But
stupidity is the only universal crime;  the sentence is death, there is
no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without
pity." --Robert A. Heinlein