Brian West

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Fri Sep 28 10:38:09 PDT 2001

David,

Thanks for the Wired pointer. From reading Declan's article it is
not anymore clear now what Brian West did or did not do than
before -- maybe less so now -- because most of the information
about latest developments has come from the feds, and Declan
does not appear to have done thorough checking the feds' version
with other sources, and indeed has put an unfortunate slant in
his story not yet objectively supportable.

You must know that the feds often put out misleading press
releases, especially in cases with high media coverage, and
most especially when they have made a well-publicized mistake.

The story is not yet out about the complete Brian West story,
as with predecessor stories about  compsec cases and plea
bargains and, worse, rush to judgment convictions.

I am not being crotchety just awaiting information that does
not too quickly help obscure the current law enforcement
practice of demonizing all compsec complaints made
by poorly secured sites operators and plea bargaining
of coerced targets. This case still appears to be that kind
of witchhunting loose upon the "defenseless" homeland.

John