Brian West

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Fri Sep 28 08:32:34 PDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 10:38:09AM -0700, John Young wrote:
> about latest developments has come from the feds, and Declan
> does not appear to have done thorough checking the feds' version
> with other sources

This is incorrect. My article was based on conversations with defense
counsel and supporters, including an off-the record conversation that
I could not use in the article, conversations with the Feds, a review
of earlier correspondence
(http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=sperling) in the
case, a review of the statute in question here, a review of affidavits
filed in the case, and the plea agreement that West signed.

It's easy to flame on a mailing list. Knowing what you're talking about
it a bit more difficult.

-Declan