Cypherpunks declared to be a terrorist organization?

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Thu Sep 27 12:58:29 PDT 2001

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 05:59:57PM +0200, Eugene Leitl wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Tim May wrote:
>
> > Given the new Anti-Terrorism laws the Congressvermin are racing to
> > pass, there's a chance the Cypherpunks list/group will be placed on
> > the list of terror organizations, with any support for (such as
> > running nodes)  declared to be illegally supporting an illegal
> > organization.
>
> Are any cypherpunks nodes being operated outside of U.S.?

Not that I know of.

Want to run one?  It doesn't take much bandwidth, just
a host that's up most of the time.  You or anyone else
who wants to set up a node is welcome to use some or all of
the majordomo mods I made to filter spam.

> Can subscription to an international mailing lists be outlawed?

Sure.  It might be difficult to pass such a law in the US, and
completely unconstitutional, but that doesn't always stop them.

It's more likely that the cypherpunks list would be declared
a "terrorist organization" under sealed FISA orders, and the various
"ringleaders" rounded up in the middle of the night.

But I don't think even that is likely; it's easier and more
productive to ignore the list and target the rare list member
who does something chargeable in real life..

Eric