Cypherpunks declared to be a terrorist organization?

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Thu Sep 27 13:23:24 PDT 2001

Eric Murray wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 05:59:57PM +0200, Eugene Leitl wrote:

> > Can subscription to an international mailing lists be outlawed?
>
> Sure.  It might be difficult to pass such a law in the US, and
> completely unconstitutional, but that doesn't always stop them.
>
> It's more likely that the cypherpunks list would be declared
> a "terrorist organization" under sealed FISA orders, and the various
> "ringleaders" rounded up in the middle of the night.
>
> But I don't think even that is likely; it's easier and more
> productive to ignore the list and target the rare list member
> who does something chargeable in real life..

Easier and more productive, but it doesn't make for big flashy
headlines. "Two Dozen Crypto Munitions Exporters Arrested in Midnight
Raids; Ties to Money Laundering, Terrorists, Child Pornographers" would
get the AG's name in the papers and distract Congress's attention from
looking into just what BXA is doing. (Neal Knox noticed that criminal
shooting sprees seem to take place before Congressional votes on gun
restrictions. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. I'm extrapolating to a
different department.)

SRF

--
Steve Furlong    Computer Condottiere   Have GNU, Will Travel
  617-670-3793

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly
while bad people will find a way around the laws." -- Plato