News: 'U.S. May Help Chinese Evade Net Censorship'

Faustine a3495 at cotse.com
Sat Sep 1 19:15:29 PDT 2001

> At 03:19 PM 9/1/2001 -0400, Faustine wrote:
>> >
>> > When you talk about "collaborating" and ZKS selling beta software to
>> > the  NSA, are you saying you've got information that ZKS gave the
>> > NSA access to  more information than the general public got, and/or
>> > that the NSA got their  access or information meaningfully earlier
>> > than the general public?
>>
>>Actually, it would be far more more informative to get them to explain
>>exactly what happened instead of relying on third-party empty hearsay
>>and hot air from me, since honestly that's all I've got. But I'm sure
>>there are a lot of reasons--some of them contractural--you'll never
>>hear the whole story. Especially given that you'll never get anything
>>more than loose talk from the other side.
>
> Well, if all you've got is hearsay and hot air, then I think it's
> unfair to tag them with words like "collaborator" or suggest that
> they're not  trustworthy - those are pretty serious allegations to
> make. I'm aware of  examples of cryptosystems and companies which were
> compromised by intelligence agencies - and also aware of baseless FUD
> and conspiracy theories spun against uncompromised software unfairly.

Fair enough, point well taken. And frankly, anything said on this by
someone who hasn't putting their own real personal credibility on the line
is going to come across like FUD anyway. Even asking for explanations is a
bit fuddy. When I find a more measured and responsible way to vent about
what's pissing me off, I certainly will.

~Faustine.