don't write "fags" on military bombs, its not polite

Tabla bin Rasa tbr at tbr.com
Thu Oct 18 17:23:11 PDT 2001

Anti-Gay Bomb Slur Wrong, Navy Says

WASHINGTON (AP) - An anti-gay slur written on one of the bombs used in
the strikes on Afghanistan was inappropriate
and commanders have been directed to prevent similar incidents, a top
Navy official said.

Pilots or crews of U.S. warplanes often write messages on bombs, either
taunting the enemy or praising America. Messages
written on bombs during the anti-terrorism airstrikes have included
several references to the Sept. 11 attacks.

A news photograph of a plane on the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier last
week showed one bomb with the message, ``High
Jack This,'' followed by an anti-gay slur.

The Human Rights Campaign, a gay rights group, complained about the
bomb's message. Rear Adm. Stephen Pietropaoli, in a
letter to the group Wednesday, said the Navy does not tolerate
discrimination and the bomb's message was an ``isolated
incident.''

Several newspapers across the country also asked the Navy about the
bomb's message earlier this week, said Pietropaoli, the
Navy's chief of information.

``We immediately notified Navy commanders involved with Operation
Enduring Freedom to ensure steps were taken to
prevent a recurrence of this unfortunate incident. They have done so,''
Pietropaoli wrote.

Elizabeth Birch, executive director of Human Rights Campaign, said in a
statement that the letter was ``a welcome clarification
and we are pleased the Navy has stated that this type of anti-gay
behavior has no place in our armed forces.''