L.A. Sony Pictures employee hospitalized; anthrax exposure suspected

Xeni Jardin xeni at xeni.net
Sat Oct 13 08:38:24 PDT 2001

(CNN) -- California is the latest state to report a possible case of anthrax
exposure.
http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/conditions/10/13/anthrax/index.html

An employee of Sony Pictures in Culver City has been admitted to the hospital
after opening an envelope containing a white powdery substance, a local law
enforcement official said. (Full story)

"When he opened it, he took an item out and got a white powdery substance on his
hands," Culver City Police Lt. Dave Tankenson said.

The man, whose name was not released, was being examined at Brotman Medical
Center on Friday, Tankenson said.

Tankenson said officials were discussing the possibility the powder was anthrax
but could not be sure until test results were completed. "We're treating it as a
serious incident until we learn otherwise," he said. (...)