House votes 339-79 to approve USA Act v2.0 "anti-terror" bill

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Oct 13 20:30:30 PDT 2001

On Saturday, October 13, 2001, at 07:37 AM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,47549,00.html
>
>    House Endorses Snoop Bill
>    By Declan McCullagh (declan at wired.com)
>    2:00 a.m. Oct. 13, 2001 PDT
>    Democrats were the most strident critics of that decision. Barney
>    Frank (D-Massachusetts) said: "What we have today is an outrageous
>    procedure: A bill, drafted by a handful of people in secret, comes to
>    us without a committee review and immune to amendment."

But this is the way the best police states are established: quickly, out
of the light of day, and with muted dissent.

It's what many of my friends have been hoping for. Only a complete
fascist takeover can trigger the eventual collapse.

--Tim May
"You don't expect governments to obey the law because of some higher
moral development. You expect them to obey the law because they know
that if they don't, those who aren't shot will be hanged." - -Michael
Shirley