how voluntary this really is

Khoder bin Hakkin hakkin at sarin.com
Thu Nov 29 10:12:11 PST 2001

What's next, a voluntary arab visitor DNA database?

from http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/29/national/29DEAR.html

The
Detroit Free Press reported on an Immigration and
Naturalization Service memorandum that said those who
were interviewed could be held without bond if
investigators developed an interest in them.

The memorandum, dated Friday, was written by Michael A. Pearson,
executive associate
commissioner of the immigration service, and was sent to all regional
offices. It said
requests by the Federal Bureau of Investigation "to detain immigration
violators under `no
bond' should be honored and will be handled in the same manner as all
prior cases with a
direct nexus to the Sept. 11 investigation."

Noel Saleh, an immigration lawyer with many Arab clients, said of the
memorandum, "It
just confirms our suspicion that what they've been saying was to be a
friendly encounter is   not going to be a friendly encounter."

"I think it is going to make some people not even show up," he added.
"Then they will go
looking for them. And then we will see how voluntary this really is."