reputation capital in rodentia

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Mon Nov 26 19:40:28 PST 2001

They did no such thing. In order for 'reputation' to happen in the
context of human society one would have to prove that squirrels have a
sense of 'I'. I'll leave the current research and a few minutes of
personal time with a rodent speak for that aspect.

Further, correlation <> reputation.

For example, how long after a given squirrel dedides to ignore a
particular alarm cry does the alarm cry still work? One day, two? A week?

More importantly, how many squirrels on average does a squirrel ask before
it ignores the cry?

Crap study, crap interpretation.

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, David Honig wrote:

> Ground squirrels maintain reputations.  Scientists played
> back alarm calls both with (to enhance) and without (to
> degrade) different individuals' calls.  After 10 false
> alarms, that call was ignored; but the high S/N call
> caused alarms even without the threat (a stuffed badger)
> being present.
>
> J Hare, B Atkins, Behav Ecol & Sociobio
> reported in Sci News 160 p 312

             Day by day the Penguins are making me lose my mind.

                                             Bumper Sticker

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com