U.S. Secret Service raids E-Gold currency exchanger

James M. Ray jray at omnipay.net
Fri Mar 30 18:06:02 PST 2001

At 8:35 PM -0500 3/30/01, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>At 08:28 PM 3/30/01 -0500, James M. Ray wrote:
>>First of all, please note that I really speak for myself and it's implied
>>in the article I speak for OmniPay too. I can't hide my outrage well
>>sometimes. :(
>
>Um, no, it's explicitly stated in the article that you speak for OmniPay.
>Jim, you're a good guy, but when you give an on the record interview to a
>reporter and he asks you what title to use and you say (after some more
>colorful suggestions) "vice president," it's reasonable to conclude you're
>speaking for the company.
>
>An officer of the company not speaking for it? It would be like Bill Gates
>not speaking for Microsoft.

Ok, you can say that, but I said I really wanted you to speak to the
president. I'm probably not the best source about e-gold compared
to the guy who invented it, after all, and he's really most concerned
about a terribly-misleading headline (which finally was changed as
the lawyer began to send nastygrams) and not really what I say,
especially about this case, since it's about another company, but I
can't hide that I think that this is outrageous.

You could have had our Bill Gates and got me (yech!) but the good
news is that this likely isn't the end of the Gold-Age story, so you'll
probably have another chance to talk to him if you keep covering it,
but the story there isn't even e-gold, it's credit card fraud committed
(IMO -- personal opinion) by someone besides Parker Bradley.
JMR