Screwing Jim Bell 3

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Mon Mar 26 16:07:13 PST 2001

I returned a telephone message today left on the 22
asking me to call about appearing as a witness for
Jim Bell. The name Leen was cited (Robert Leen is
Jim's PD). The number left, 1-800-797-6722, turned
out to be the Public Defenders Office. A man who
answered passed me to the US Attorney's Office,
to a Jennifer Mullane, who was out, so I left a message
to call me.

Nobody called back so I called Robert Leen's office, and
spoke to Leen. He said oh yes John Young, you're a
friend of Jim Bell's. I said, no, I'm a supporter. Well, he
said, I've seen an email you wrote to Jim which the
government is going to use in the trial, so that is what
I meant by you being a friend. The email they questioned
you about in the grand jury.

I said I had not written Jim any email and told the grand
jury that I'd posted a message on a public list, not sent
one to Jim directly. Oh, Leen said.

I asked if he or Jim had arranged the call about my
being a witness for Jim. He said, no, not that I'm
aware of. Jim has prepared a witness list but you're
not on it. But I'm not getting along with Jim so I can't
be sure. You probably know that a lot of people don't
get along with Jim,

I didn't answer that.

He said you probably were called about being a
government witness, because we didn't call you.

I said I had got a government subpoena already.

He said that was for the grand jury, right.

I said, no, another subpoena for the trial. That is
what makes the call last week about being a witness
for Jim curious.

Leen said. I'll look into it and call you tomorrow.

An hour later I got the message from Jeff about the
trial being postponed a day.

----

Here's Jim's March 18 filing of a partial witness list:

  Comes now the Defendant, James Dalton Bell, who declares that
  he is effectively and unwillingly unrepresented, and that
  his 6th Amendment Right to Counsel has been repeatedly and
  intentionally violated since on or about December 1, 2000.
  Defendant Bell has repeatedly sent letters to the court asking
  for substitute counsel, and two separate motions by attorney
  Robert Leen have been essentially ignored since mid-
  December, 2000.

  [Handwritten]

   1. Due to Leen's refusal to do substantial work on my
   case, and to preserve my rights, I submit the
   following partial witness list:

   Ryan Thomas Lund
   Joane Maida
   Robert Gombiner
   Steve Wilson
   Charles Vollmer
   Lisa Stevenson
   Ernest "Ernie" Grissell
   David King
   Alverna King
   Daniel J. Saban
   Leslie Spier
   Jeff Gordon
   Mike McNall
   Steve Mueller

                                       [Signature]
                                       James Bell 3/18/01

-----

For more on these witnesses, see the feds' complaint:

   http://cryptome.org/jdb111700.htm

And Jim's recent filings:

   http://cryptome.org/jdb031301.htm