Choatian agriculture

Reese reeza at flex.com
Thu Mar 22 21:37:03 PST 2001

At 09:50 PM 3/22/01 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:

 >> Root == Tuber is attributable to Amiee?  I hope she calls it a
 >> Choatism, another fine example of Choatesque speech, or Choate-
 >>speak for short.  ;)
 >
 >A 'tuber' is a swelling on a 'stem' (that in the case of a potato happens
 >to be underground. A stem is a 'stalk' that bears flowers, fruits, potato
 >eyes, etc. A stalk is simply a cylindrical 'body' (the thing the xylem and
 >floem are in). And if you look up 'tuber' and 'potato' you'll find them
 >listed in 'root and tuber crops'.

Gee, I thought a potato was a tuber that formed from a rhizome.  You will
want to notify these folks so they can update their webpage, as well pass
the word to the references they cite.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/biotech/potato.html

A rhizome is a somewhat elongated usually horizontal subterranean plant
stem that is often thickened by deposits of reserve food material.  It
produces shoots above and roots below, and is distinguished from a true
root in possessing buds, nodes, and usually scalelike leaves.

Rhizome |= root, potato |= root.

 >You guys failed Botany 101, clearly.

Clearly.

Reese