Gun Activists Have A Stake Against Filtering Software[Censorware]

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Mar 21 07:44:29 PST 2001

The reason anonymizer is blocked is because it functions as a proxy
via which one can get to (presumably) any page on the web.  The
alternative would be to block *every* URL many times: once for the
regular URL and once for the one that starts with www.anonymizer.com
and once for each of the other proxy-type services out there (any
number of places where you can surf the web in swedish chef, pig-latin,
jive, backwards, via language translation, etc, work basically the
same way - and I bet they're all blocked too).

I don't think it's anonymous speech they object to; it's all the
millions of proscribed sites that can be browsed via anonymizer.

				Bear