Microsoft Trial Judge Based His Break-Up "Remedy" On Flawed Theory, Not Facts

Mac Norton mnorton at cavern.uark.edu
Fri Mar 2 22:13:12 PST 2001

I've got a terminology gap here.  Somewhere along the line I seem
to have conflated "network effects" with the notion that the
maraginal cost of any addition to a network will typically be
less then the value to the network of that addition.  (Yes,
"typically" is important, to avoid lumpiness quibbles, such
as "a whole new server is a whole new server for one added
user," but let's don't quibble.)

It sounds like what we're talking about here involves what
I would have thought of more as "network externalities."

Education, please?
MacN