FW: City Tree Rapers

CeejEngine at aol.com CeejEngine at aol.com
Sat Jun 9 20:56:13 PDT 2001

In a message dated 6/9/01 11:53:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ravage at einstein.ssz.com writes:

> > In a message dated 6/9/01 11:35:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> > ravage at einstein.ssz.com writes:
> >

> > > Bullshit, the 1st makes no such distinction. With respect to libel, or
> any
> > > other form of speech it only says it isn't a federal issue. Note that no
> > >

> > Yeah, but then you've got the 14th, which has been used to apply the Bill
> of
> > Rights to the states (due process clause), so that means that no gov. can
> > restrict free speech. As for libel, its damn hard to make stick- public
> > figures have a hight standard, which includes proving actual malice. Fun
> > times.
>
> But the 14'th only speaks of 'priviliges and immunities' it never(!) uses
> the term 'right' and a right is clearly not a privilige or immunity (read
> the first two para's of the DoI for explanation of 'right').
>
> If anything the 14'th would prevent states from making any(!) laws

Right, reading it literally. But the supreme court has interpreted the "due
process" clause to include rights granted under the bill of rights (using the
incorperation doctrine). I know it isn't in the 14th itself, but the way the
court has interpreted it has given it this meaning. Look at New York v.
Griswold (i think) for a good example of this. The court applied unreasonable
search and siezure to a state using the 14th. The same goes for free speech.

Ender