MS adds their two bits to the credentialing of America

Riad S. Wahby rsw at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 7 09:27:52 PDT 2001

"Roy M. Silvernail" <roy at scytale.com> wrote:
> OK, I can buy that.  But would it be wild speculation to predict that
> the online identity eventually gets tied to the Windows user login?
> This still doesn't prevent nymity (barring biometric logon and
> prevention of multiple accounts using the same biotoken, but I don't
> want to go too far afield), but it makes it less convenient.  By the
> time J. Random Luser realizes he wants (needs?) to nymify, the
> barriers to entry are in place. The third 'E'.

I'm not convinced that the intersection of the sets 'uses windows' and
'needs to nymify' (or, alternatively, 'cannot use (some other
operating system)' and 'needs to nymify') is so great that this really
matters.  Even if it is, if the need is great enough even the steepest
learning curve can begin to look pretty inviting.

In other words, the answer at that point is not to use Windows.

--
Riad Wahby
rsw at mit.edu
MIT VI-2/A 2002