The Credentialling of America

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Thu Jun 7 03:03:07 PDT 2001

John Young wrote:

> Disclaimer: I'm a licensed professional, but not for anything ever
> discussed here,

What, never?

Well, hardly ever...

I hereby invalidate your claim for ever by moaning, off-topically, about
the spread through England of supermarkets and shopping malls in
neo-vernacular industrial yellow brick with colonnades of semi-circular
arches and lots of exposed metalwork painted in primary colours, that
look like a cross between an early C19 railway shed, a  C5 Roman
military stables and something you might knock up un a few minutes with
a decent Lego set. Once they were pleasant to the eye, now they are a
clichi. And also by asking if such things are ever seen in North
America? (after all you aren't short of sub-Norman-Shaw large private
houses and educational buildings & that is one of the origins of this
consciously anti-contemporary style)

Ken I-am-not-a-professional-I-am-a-working-man Brown :-)