Ashcroft Targets U.S. Cybercrime

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Jul 21 09:19:47 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 10:18:25PM -0400, Matthew Gaylor wrote:

> 	Remember what I told you: "If you think Clinton was dismal,
> you're going to find out what dismal *is*, during a Bush administration."

This is too simplistic.

> [And Matt's reply is:  They're both dismal.]

This is better.

The truth is that they're dismal in different areas. We may not have a
Waco under Ashcroft, and he may be mildly better on 2A rights, and he
may not have same weird fixations that Reno did. But the obscenity
"crackdown" is coming, that's for sure, and we'll have plenty more to
complain about int he next year or so.

Also, on the Sklyarov issue, it's a mistake to believe there's any
substantial difference in the major parties.

Clinton signed the DMCA with the appropriate fanfare; a motion to
reconsider the DMCA in the House was tabled *without objection* and
the DMCA was agreed to in the Senate *without objection* by unanimous
consent.

This was not a hotly-debated law, folks. Anyone who thinks there's
a difference between the two major parties on this issue -- and I'm not
saying Matt does, of course -- should get over it.

-Declan