Ashcroft Targets U.S. Cybercrime

Benson Schliesser bensons at zero.neohaven.net
Tue Jul 24 17:20:21 PDT 2001

> >> We still live in a country that has laws, and we *should* expect the LEAs
> >>to enforce all laws that are on the books.
> >>
> >> If you have a problem with the laws, it's not the LEAs fault, it's the
> >>legislature and the Executive branch.
> >

> >And the Jewish population of Europe during WW2 had no right to complain
> >about the Nazi soldiers just doing their job, right...
>
> 	If one can't distinguish between the enforcement of laws of
> questionable constitutional validity (yes, *questionable*) and
> genocide, then one should probably load the bong again, watch cartoons
> on TV and stay far, far away from the ballot box.

The question has nothing to do with the Constitution of the United
States--it has to do with whether or not an individual is justified in
acting in the name of "just doing my job" or "just following orders". I
would suggest that LEAs are definitely at fault for executing and
enforcing laws that are unjust.

(I in no way intend to imply that the blame should be steered away from
the originators, who are, as you point out, the legislature and executive
branch. Nor am I making a recommendation as to what determines the fabric
of "justice", although that would be an interesting topic for dicsussion.)

Your assumption that the U.S. Constitution and system of Elections have
anything to do with granting a mandate of rule to the law enforcement
community is flawed. They don't even, for what it matters, grant a true
mandate to the rest of the U.S. government anymore, with occasional
exception.

--bensons