What NAI is telling people

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Mon Jul 16 19:24:40 PDT 2001

At 09:06 PM 7/16/01 -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Of course there is no law or regulation that prohibits individuals
>from accepting encrypted email from the blacklist countries (or
>an ISP from forwarding it).
>
>Though perhaps government pressure or simple misunderstanding can
>explain the situation you encountered. I'd be interested in any
>verifiable info on this.
>
>-Declan

I did encounter a law firm in Bermuda who's server was set to block
"binaries" that bounced PGP messages because they are "binary."  It was
allegedly concerned about bandwidth, viruses, and inappropriate content..

Not the same thing of course.

DCF

----
You may argue that the government can guarantee the success of the vital
institutions that it subsidies.  But you cannot argue that government can
guarantee their failure.  Government has no mechanism for guaranteeing the
failure of powerful politically-connected institutions.  But these
institutions *must* fail if