Most of a nation on probation?

Paul H. Merrill PaulMerrill at acm.org
Thu Jul 5 16:13:31 PDT 2001

There are two aspects which need to be considered.

1.  Rehabilitation must be a goal that is worked
toward, else we will need to give life sentences
to all participants in every bar brawl, for where
would we place the line over which one shan't
cross.

2.  Scaled punishment is necessary, else one may
as well kill as punch.  Rapists may as well kill
the victim - no witnesses, etc.

Between the two, "violent offended" becomes too
vague a grouping.

PHM

--
Paul H. Merrill, MCNE, MCSE+I, CISSP