Most of a nation on probation?

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Jul 5 15:29:18 PDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 01:30:06PM -0700, Sandy Sandfort wrote:
> Yes, that's correct.  I am arguing against that collectivist viewpoint.
> It's the individual's suffering I'm most concerned with.  I think it would

I haven't followed this discussion closely, and I am sympathetic to
the position that far too many non-violent activities are crimes. But if
someone is a violent offender, I don't see why we should be concerned
at all with their "suffering" in prison.

We can argue about mandatory minimums, rehabilitation, and whether
violent crimes should be state or federal offenses, but my instinct is
to say I'd far rather see violent criminals behind bars than on parole.
Right?

Or am I just going collectivist-conservative in my advancing old age?

-Declan