Most of a nation on probation?

Sandy Sandfort sandfort at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 5 13:30:06 PDT 2001

Sampo Syreeni wrote:

> The difference is that most of
> the people around here seem to
> be arguing from the societal
> point of view. (Cheap) parole,
> even if sheer bliss for the
> felon, is a bad thing when
> thought about with due respect
> to what it does to whole
> communities.

Yes, that's correct.  I am arguing against that collectivist viewpoint.
It's the individual's suffering I'm most concerned with.  I think it would
be great to reform the whole shebang; let's do it, but let's not put the
cart before the horse and harm the individual "for the greater good."  Yeah,
laws are tough to repeal, but that's where our efforts need to be placed,
not on some indirect, "we'll really make it costly for the state" approach.

Of course, as Cypherpunks we REALLY should be thinking how to make the laws
irrelevant.  And for what it's worth, that comes easier when we are dealing
with someone who is relatively freer due to being on parole.  Now let's put
some Cypherpunk brain power towards those tattletale ankle transponders...

 S a n d y