Most of a nation on probation?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Jul 5 14:19:03 PDT 2001

At 1:30 PM -0700 7/5/01, Sandy Sandfort wrote:
>Sampo Syreeni wrote:
>
>>  The difference is that most of
>>  the people around here seem to
>>  be arguing from the societal
>>  point of view. (Cheap) parole,
>>  even if sheer bliss for the
>>  felon, is a bad thing when
>>  thought about with due respect
>>  to what it does to whole
>>  communities.
>
>Yes, that's correct.  I am arguing against that collectivist viewpoint.

Oh, puh-leeeze! My argument is not a collectivist viewpoint.

It's just like any argument that drug laws are bad. (Being one of
those who doesn't use drugs, and who never has, honest!, is any
argument from me that drugs should not be illegal a "collectivist
viewpoint"?) Ditto for thousands of other examples where the societal
and legal and ethical implications dominate.

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns