Fw: [Ne-anarchists-d] Re: FBI is investigating an alleged "Black Bloc" threat sent toPolitech (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Wed Jul 4 15:33:48 PDT 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 18:01:11 -0400
From: Any Mouse
Subject: Fw: [Ne-anarchists-d] Re: FBI is investigating an alleged "Black Bloc" threat sent toPolitech

Chuck's response below...

By the way the Black Bloc is a tactic of demonstration, not a "group".  If I may
use a very loose analogy it's like saying that cypherpunks are all about PGP
encrypted emails.  The work that Chuck and other anarchists are doing in the
area goes beyond Black Bloc and, yes, it does include Black Bloc when
appropriate.  There are active discussions about the possible mis-use or abuse
of Black Bloc tactics in several large scale and highly visible incidences (such
as the anti-globalization protests) that are due in large to the explosive
growth of visibility for the tactics without the necessary education and
organization.

An effective Black Bloc has an effective and clearly defined message/slogan,
same w/ goal, and a visible restraint mechanism.  It's a sledge hammer against a
door not a molotov cocktail thrown anonymously into a crowd.

But I'm just a fly on the wall making some observations and can't by any means
consider myself a scholar on the topic...