Bell Grand Jury

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Sat Jan 27 09:39:17 PST 2001

Bear wrote:

>There's a Pattern Here.  And I even think the pattern is
>based on public communications.

One point: Robb London kept referring to posts to cypherpunks
as if they were between individuals, say me and Jim Bell.
I had to point out that the messages were to the cypherpunks
list not between individuals. And that I had not sent mail to
Jim directly and that Jim's messages were not to me but to
a public list. That distinction may not have been absorbed
by the jury, especically if they had already been briefed
about mail between Jim and me, despite there having been
none.

This confusion is caused by the way return messages are
addressed. In my Eurora mailer, if you just hit return to a
cpunk message, the writer's address pops up, or it does
in my configuration. To avoid that I have to manually add
the cpunk address.

Moreover, responders often send two or more messages,
to the writer, to cpunks, and, in some cases, to previous
responders. I try to avoid that by sending only to the list.

The thing is, an outsider who sees the messages, say in
the archives or as a subscriber, may interpret what you
think is public mail as private, especially when the To:
is to an individual not the list.