"Crime plan targets phone thefts"

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Wed Jan 10 03:55:45 PST 2001

"Crime plan targets phone thefts":
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1109000/1109234.stm

Apparently, Jack Straw (famously authoritarian British Home Secretary)
wants the phone companies to do something about street robbery of mobile
phones - now a third of all robbery in London and very embarrassing for
the government because it totally masks the genuine underlying ongoing
reduction in crime.

Straw:  "We have a shared interest with mobile telephone manufacturers
and the operators in making telephones              more secure, It's
difficult because many of the phones that are sold these days are the
pay-as-you-go phones, but there is more that can be done and this is all
about joining together in a partnership with industries, the public and
the police to help get these crimes down."

So mugging is joined to the now 6 or 7 horsepersons of the infocalypse
as yet another reason to  ban anonymous phones? I wonder who is in
Straw's driving seat this time?

Something Must be Done is always a bad start to legislation. Do we get
the Dangerous Telephones Act 2001?

Ken (and not his employers who are law-abiding people who would do
nothing to annoy a Home Secretary)