cell phone anonymity

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Mon Jan 8 21:32:32 PST 2001

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Tim May wrote:

>Ray, you seem knowledgeable in some areas. But your pontifications on
>California basements, cellphone GPS, etc., are very "Choatean" in
>nature. Something you might want to look at.

You can trust anything I say about Math or Programming (especially
AI and LISP programming -- ie, my job).  A lot of my "rants" in
fields like architecture, state government, etc, come from situations
in Kansas, many of which do not apply to California, and I need to
think twice before speaking once.  Much of the rest (including GPS
chips in cell phones "within the next couple of years," heard a couple
of years ago) is gleaned from mainstream media and evidently has its
share of distortions.

				Bear

An aside -- Contractors are now building uninsulated homes in Kansas
(a climate where temperatures range from about 110 fahrenheit to
-3 fahrenheit over the course of an average year) on floodplains,
with slab foundations, not even buttressed down to the heave line
and with no provision for airflow to mediate temperature - and
people are buying them!  This monumental stupidity was a feature
of the circus of fools around me for many years, and is still
where my mind goes by reflex action whenever I hear about electricity
supply difficulties, power costs and escalating home insurance prices --
however irrelevant it may be to the situation in California.

California, it seems, has its own set of completely different acts
in the circus of fools, and I'm still learning them....