Micropayments: Effective Replacement For Ads?

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Feb 28 15:31:34 PST 2001

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 10:32:05PM -0800, Tim May wrote:

> One obvious solution: certificates. Google and Alta Vista get "free
> passes." Nothing new in this. Like reporters being comped to a
> conference.

Right, or similar solutions based on originating domain name or IP
address, with appropriate verification.

I have never paid for a conference that I have covered.  (Well, once I
paid $20 or so to Defcon, but that was for a good cause.

See y'all at CFP -- though journalists do not get free meals, alas.

-Declan