Micropayments: Effective Replacement For Ads?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Mon Feb 26 23:07:27 PST 2001

     --
At 02:57 PM 2/26/2001 -0800, Ray Dillinger wrote:
 > Finally, sites supported by micropayments are going to have to
 > figure out something about web spiders.  If "scooter" can't spend
 > several million dollars a month on these places, they're not going
 > to get into the altavista database, for example.  So if you want the
 > site to be in a search engine at all, you're going to have to let
 > the search engine's robot cruise the site for free.  Wanna bet it
 > would be about twenty seconds before somebody released a "Pretend to
 > be a web spider and browse pay sites for FREE!" utility?

  Not a problem.  Typically a micropayment site will have index and summary
pages that are free, and these free pages will contain lots of pay
links.  You will not want the spider to traverse the pay links.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      E50EWZ3DbSA4I1elfY6ZL3m256NEr50epMUkMMvK
      43w6FHlI8HTFJ2mODNAVwTRsFWtqomg18OkMhSMaj