FAQ? how to set up a cross-platform encrypted mailing list/forum

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Tue Feb 20 14:22:02 PST 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Rachel Willmer wrote:

> The problem I see with doing this, is that it doesn't stop someone
> absent-mindedly sending out an unencrypted mail to the list server. Which
> then will travel happily in the clear over the Internet to the list server,
> (where it gets encrypted and sent back out again but its too late by then).

Then have it do a dictionary search on a text, have it randomly pick 10
'words' as delimited by spaces. Do a dictionary search, if they're there
it PROBABLY isn't encrypted.

> so I'm coming round to the idea that the only way to do this is via a
> web-driven interface on a secure server.

So, how does swapping a http for a smtpd effect clear text submissions and
re-transmission (helping known text attacks)?

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com