Taxes on hard drives

petro petro at bounty.org
Sun Feb 18 20:48:26 PST 2001

>On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, petro wrote:
>
>>  >On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Ken Brown wrote:
>>  >>You guys just need to get back to the big city :-)
>>  >
>>  >not true.  in fact, i would argue that the difficulty of finding
>>  >good music is widespread throughout the states.
>>  >i attribute this to the clueless, braindead fools who are governed
>>  >by the radio...and we all know the stupidity of the people who
>>  >control the radio stations.
>>
>>  	So what you are complaining about is market forces?
>
>When the market is "what a bunch of guys in suits decide is what I should
>be able to buy" -- YES!

	Funny, I don't think the people running Cleopatra Records, or
any of a number of smaller labels wear suits all that often.

>The reason unauthorized copying takes place to the extent it does is the
>absolute disreguard for "the market" that those making the decisions on
>what is available and/or what is promoted have for those "market forces".

	The reason unauthorized copying takes place is because it is
at least one, and sometimes two orders of magnitude cheaper to copy a
CD (depending on whether you go to tape or another CD) than it is to
go buy one.

	People, when given a choice, will almost always opt for the
*CHEAPEST* method of obtaining a desired good or service.

>When was the last time that actual supply and demand actually made a
>difference in how much you had to pay for a movie or DVD?  Who else are
>you going to get it from?

	I don't buy movies or DVDs, mostly because any cost to me is
more than it is worth. For music, I would prefer to give the money
directly to the artists, but until they start selling direct, I'll
continue to buy what I can find.

	As to supply and demand entering into it, I've purchased
stuff for two to three times store prices from Europe, simply because
there isn't the demand in this country for the artist I wanted to
hear.

	When one has tastes outside the mainstream, be it in music,
clothing, guns, or whatever, one has to pay the price.
--
You can never go hunting
With just a flintlock and a hound