watermarking sucks (Re: stego for the censored II)

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Mon Feb 12 07:57:21 PST 2001

I realize that this is *slightly* simplistic, but comparing 2
(preferably 3 or more) copies of the data with different
watermark contents should quickly reveal where and what
constitutes the watermarking.

Of course, there are methods to make this more onerous -
MACing the watermarked data for one - but nothing a
determined counterfeiter couldn't work around. It only
takes one, after all.

I'm currently working my way through Schneier's 'Secrets
and Lies'. He has one comment I like to the effect that
trying to make data not be copyable is a task on a par
with trying to make water not be wet.

Peter Trei

> From: 	Adam Back[SMTP:adam at cypherspace.org]
[...]