watermarking sucks (Re: stego for the censored II)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Sun Feb 11 09:07:17 PST 2001

I think a watermark is more likely to be keyed.  Without the key
it's a bit harder to be sure to remove the watermark without affecting
the quality of the image.  With the key you can tell which parts of
the message to remove.

In addition watermarking has to mean a mark tied to the identity
of the downloader, otherwise a simple presentation serves to
demonstrate it is the same work.  Ideally the watermark should
include a signature by the downloader, otherwise the watermarker
can forge watermarks and frame random people for unauthorised
redistribution.  I'd guess most of them don't bother with obtaining
signatures from downloaders due to the sparse independent PKI
(there is limited point the watermarker acting as a CA in it's
own PKI, as it can forge certificates and identities in it's
own controlled CA).  Though not equitable the systems relying
on the watermarker not to cheat is probably not too much of a
problem from the point of view of the watermarker because
courts will just decide in favor of the trustworthiness of the
media cartel when it is case of one persons word against the
cartel.

Of course the whole concept of watermarking is broken at all
levels, copying can not be prevented as the content can typically
be reencoded and lose the watermark, quality is in heavy contention
with the ease with which the watermark can be removed.  Even
if it is keyed.  And ultimately content can plausibly deniably
be stolen and all it takes is one copy.

Adam