Formal apology (RE: Crypto McCarthyism ...thoughts, gentlemen?)

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Feb 10 21:35:57 PST 2001

Well, that's about as nice an apology as I've ever seen on any list, let
alone cypherpunks. Aimee's initial message deserves a response. (BTW there
is a real Waco, Texas lawyer named Aimee Farr who is interested in these
issues, though naturally we can't be certain our correspondent is that person.)

She asks for our thoughts on this:
http://www.sociology.org/content/vol002.001/ling.html

Not only is it an uninteresting sociology treatise, but it is a bad
uninteresting sociology treatise. The first thing to note, of course,
beyond its unnecessary jargon, is that the article is about as wrong as
could be. Far from any "boundary crisis" leading to "mass hate," society
has instead adopted and then accepted the Internet. It's difficult to be
repulsed by something when you use it to share baby pictures with grandparents.

One could argue that the article was correct at the time. The article
appears to have been written during in 1996, around the time the CDA became
law, but even then it was a year after the Time magazine cyberscare, and
two years after the CDA was introduced: Cyberporn was old news. Identifying
fundamental truths is the mark of good research, and this paper comes up
sadly lacking.

Since the paper is so flawed, I'm not sure it's worth discussing at length.
But, briefly, is crypto as threatening as witches were? Far from it. It --
and its derivative technologies, such as anonymity -- seems to be perceived
more as a way to reclaim lost privacy rather than a new and unusual threat.
In that sense, it is a conservative technology. (This could change, and
certainly the intelligence community is hand-waving about terrorists again,
but I doubt it'll have much luck.)

-Declan