Formal apology (RE: Crypto McCarthyism ...thoughts, gentlemen?)

Alan Olsen alan at clueserver.org
Sun Feb 11 00:38:50 PST 2001

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> Since the paper is so flawed, I'm not sure it's worth discussing at length.
> But, briefly, is crypto as threatening as witches were? Far from it. It --
> and its derivative technologies, such as anonymity -- seems to be perceived
> more as a way to reclaim lost privacy rather than a new and unusual threat.
> In that sense, it is a conservative technology. (This could change, and
> certainly the intelligence community is hand-waving about terrorists again,
> but I doubt it'll have much luck.)

They seem to be having trouble putting the crypto kitten back in the
bottle.

I wonder who is doing more damage to America's image abroad and at home.

Terrorists or the various TLAs.

I think the TLAs are ahead on this one.  We will know that they have won
this particular contest when Jay leno starts making jokes about the
absurdity of their boogieman of the day.

alan at ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."