Choices of small handguns

Matthew Gaylor freematt at coil.com
Sun Dec 30 21:11:54 PST 2001

At 2:53 PM -0800 12/30/01, Tim May wrote:
>* SIG P239, also in .40 S&W. Like my 229 (bigger, 15 rounds), it
>shoots very well and is flat and concealable. The operation is
>double action on the first pull, single action on subsequent pulls.
>After the last shot, the decocker must be used to lower the hammer.
>(I think this is a little confusing for newcomers, and could cause
>accidents.) I bought mine used for $450, a range rental (with mild
>range rental loads) with almost no visible wear.

I found the P239 not quite as well balanced as either my P226 or
P228, and I can conceal either practically as well as the smaller
P239.

>* H&K P7, the famous "squeeze-cocker." I had wanted one of these
>since reading about them in 1980, so when H&K was selling a bunch of
>reworked and remarket P7s at a good price ($550 or so), I bought
>one. Very elegant, very unusual. Mine is in 9mm. Very safe, but
>takes a bit of getting used to.

Click, clack is how I describe the P7.  I wouldn't want to reveal my
position to say a burglar with such a pistol-  Any of the other
pistols mentioned along with other conventional DA/SA pistols seem to
be a better choice.

>* I have one Glock, a 1986-vintage Model 17, the first ones they
>imported into the U.S. 9mm, 17-18 shots. It does the job, is safe,
>and is a reliable standby. Many people swear by them. A Glock 19 is
>slightly smaller. And then there are the aforementioned Model 26s
>and 27s (.40, I recall).

Keep in mind that Glocks, while excellent, reliable and accurate do
lead the pack in accidental discharges, even among "trained" police.
I'd not recommend the Glock to a beginner or to someone who wouldn't
put in the necessary practice.

>I like my Kahr, followed by my H&K P7, followed by my SIGs.
>
>(I also have a full-sized H&K USP .45, and other handguns, of course.)

The Kahr's are excellent firearms-  Especially if your primary
purpose is to conceal it.  However as a general purpose pistol a
higher magazine capacity model with better longer range accuracy is
better-

Regards,  Matt-