CNN.com on Remailers

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Wed Dec 19 09:53:20 PST 2001

> Ben Xain[SMTP:bxain at redneck.gacracker.org]
>
> > On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, David Honig wrote:
> > > Can't spam be repelled by not forwarding email not encrypted to
> > > the remailer's key?
>

> In fact, spammers currently *do* send mail encrypted to the remailers'
> keys.  It's a pain in the ass trying to filter the damn stuff out.
>
> Ben Xain
> bxain at redneck.gacracker.org

First I've heard that. Frankly, I'm suprised.

One solution, which I've long advocated, is for the remailer to drop mail
which has an unencrypted body after it's applied it's decryption key.

Provided this is an announced policy, substantially increases the
protection of the mail and the remop. It does mean that only people
capable of using encryption can receive mail via the remailer, but
that's probably a *good* thing.

Peter Trei

This e-mail, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended
solely for the addressee(s) and are PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL.  Access by any other party is unauthorized without the express
prior written permission of the sender.  If
you have received this e-mail in error you may not copy, disclose to any
third party or use the contents, attachments or
information in any way, Please delete all copies of the e-mail and the
attachment(s), if any and notify the sender.
Thank You.