Steal This Essay 1: Content Is a Pure Public Good

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Dec 19 00:21:41 PST 2001

This guy's essay is really good. And it only took him a few minutes!

> Originally published in TimBITS#602/22-Oct-01; see
> <http://www.timbits.com/> for more information.
>
> Steal This Essay 1: Content Is a Pure Public Good
> by Tim May
>
> Steal this essay, or, why these sorts of essays represent the future of
> all publishing. Hint: I'm not getting paid for them.
>
> "Freedom of the press belongs to those who own one." - A.J. Liebling
>
> If you or anyone you know has ever or will ever produce content
> (writing, music, video, etc.) and hopes to get paid for it, you should
> be afraid.
>
> To see why, start by downloading (for free, of course) one of the
> numerous peer-to-peer file sharing systems such as Aimster, LimeWire,
> and eDonkey2000 that have emerged hydra-like to take the place of
> Napster, whose head was cut off

--Tim May
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to
others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient
warrant." --John Stuart Mill