Questions for the list.RE.Quantum Encryption.

mattd mattd at useoz.com
Tue Dec 18 23:44:13 PST 2001

 From D.McCullogh.

As I understand it, Weyl's original gauge theory allowed for the
possibility that length scale can change from point to point.

Has there been any modern work on Weyl's theory? In particular,
is it possible to develop a quantum version? Another question:
is it possible that something interesting (perhaps GR) could
result from Weyl's theory through spontaneous symmetry breaking?

What's interesting about Weyl's theory is that classically
(ignoring quantum mechanics) there is no good reason for physics
to have a preferred length scale. What sets the length scale for
material objects seems to be the Bohr radius,

     r_b = hbar^2/(m e^2)

So that makes me think that perhaps quantum corrections to Weyl's
theory might break his gauge symmetry.
END
Could be on to something here D. Especially ignoring quantum mechanics!
What do youse all think?