FC: More on Symantec, McAfee, loopholes, and espionage-enabled 'ware

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Wed Dec 12 23:35:35 PST 2001

I think the real answer lies at the intersection of
Annalee Newitz (another actually tech journalist besides Declan!:-)'s
answer and Adrian's.  Anti-virus software has two main techniques -
         - look for recognized bad stuff, and
         - look for suspicious changes to good stuff.
plus an anti-technique
         - look for recognized non-bad stuff if one of the previous
         techniques detects bad or suspicious activity.

If the targets of Magic Lantern don't suspect any virus-like problems
and report them to an anti-virus maker who can analyze its behaviour
and include it in the list of known bad stuff, Nothing Happens.
If the Magic Lantern authors are careful to cover up any changes
they make to important files so they don't look suspicious,
         "These aren't the viruses you're looking for.  Move along."
then they also duck the second detection technique.

The two obvious ways that the anti-virus companies could cooperate
with Evildoers, Federal or otherwise, are to actively not comply
with requests to include Evildoer things in their Bad Stuff lists
or to explicitly put recognizers for Evildoer stuff in the OK list.
But if the Feds and the Targets don't tell them what to look for,
then implicitly they usually would not be detected.

                         Bill Stewart