Bomb Law Reporter - special edition

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Wed Aug 22 18:16:36 PDT 2001

At 07:07 PM 08/22/2001 -0400, Faustine wrote:
>Have you happened to have seen any good papers on constructing do-it-
>yourself cheap, effective, portable shielding? Probably might as well ask
>for the moon too while I'm at it, but it's worth a shot!

Back when I was playing with that technology,
there was no such thing as "cheap, effective, portable" :-)
The three main applications for shielding were
- FCC-grade quietness - so your neighbors don't complain about TV interference,
         but that's not enough to stop eavesdroppers
- TEMPEST-certified equipment, which not only needs the
         technical capabilities correct but also the testing and paperwork,
         which tended to add ~$5000 per PC.
- ElectroMagnetic Compatibility (EMC) testing, which uses
         big shielded rooms to make quiet environments for testing hardware in.
         The technology's pretty similar to TEMPEST-room shielding,
         except that you put the noisy stuff outside instead of inside,
         but it's the big expensive non-portable end of the product spectrum.