Laws of mathematics, not of men

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Aug 1 12:23:39 PDT 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Sandy Sandfort wrote:

> Eugene, do you think feds enter people's home because the people in
> question may have carried a knife illegally years ago?  What federal

No. Feds enter houses for whatever reasons they deem appropriate to invent
(at least in Bavaria they do, and it goes downhill from that, and, yes,
Murrika is downhill from that). Pointing out possible targets makes no
damn reason at all, unless you've got a personal vendetta, or a crappy
personality.

> law?  What basis for a search warrant?  What the hell are you talking
> about?

Are you really thus clueless, or are you just a natural?

> Then tell them to get the hell off your property if they don't have a
> warrant.  That takes 5 seconds of your afternoon.

We seem to have very different understandings of "friendly". Friendly is
if they do have a search warrant, but don't incapacitate or kill you
first.

> You know, using the passive voice in this context is "bad personal style."

Yah, whatever. You suck, have halitosis, and are generically an idiot. Do
you feel better now?

> Don't speak for anyone but yourself.  If you think it's bad, just say so.
> Don't hide behind "is usually considered."  Any whether you like it or
> not--whether anyone likes it or not, like Tim says, "I'll do what I want."

Um, is this bad soap opera, or what?

> Statute of limitations for starters.  I'll leave the rest as an
> exercise for the student.

What's "statute of limitations" spelt in German? (And if vee don't like
your nase ve haff vay to obtain a warrant, you knovv.).

> Then versus now.  Think about it.

There's no point in mentioning a person's name wantonly, especially on
this list.

> What I said was funny, but the underlying reality is serious--deadly
> serious.  Tim's playing to the galleries increases his risk whether he
> or wish to acknowledge it or not.

As I said, it's a male weakness, and there's absofuckinglutely no point in
playing with it. He's a big guy, if/assuming he wants to kill himself in
a spectacular way, it's his problem. Not yours.

> And I think you should stuff a sock in your cake hole.  So we both
> have opinions and we disagree.  I can live with that.

Live and and let live (he said, while stuffung a sock in his cake hole).