GPS bugs (was: Jim Bell Trial: Third Day (fwd))

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Thu Apr 12 12:11:05 PDT 2001

auto211076 at hushmail.com wrote:

> Third Day:  Jim Bell trial

<SNIP>

> The defense requested information about the tracking device that was attached
> to Jim Bell's car: the type, make, and where installed in the car.  London
> cited "law enforcement privilege" and argued that giving out that information
> would enable future surveillance subjects to find and dismantle such devices.
>  (Earlier in the trial, it was mentioned that this was the first use of
> a GPS tracking device in the area.)

>From what little I know of GPS, the receiver must be able to "see sky."
So there can't be any metal objects between it and the sky.  That means
it's unlikely for it to be on the underside of the car.  Possible installation
places would be under the "skin" above the dashboard, any place that has
line of sight to the windshield or back window.  If the car is a vinyl top,
under the roof would be good hiding place.

Of course the main body of the "bug" can be hidden anywhere inside the car, but
the antena needs to see sky.

These things are usually cellphone enabled, so that way they don't constantly
transmit, and won't be easily caught by sweeps.

Defenses would include GPS and cell phone jammers, but these would have to
be on 24/7, thus draining the car's battery.  GPS jammer would be more
desireable, since the cell phone side is just used to download the logs
of where the car has been, and the logs can be recovered by physically
recovering the bug.

One thing I don't know about in relation to GPS: are the military bits
sent on different frequencies than the civilian bits?  Or are they just
encrypted?  If they're different frequencies, then, you'd have to know
these to build an effective jammer.

I of course have no information on what was actually installed in Jim
Bell's car, where, how, or by whom, except as emails have described
here, and I take this with a grain of salt.

ObDisclaimer to Jeff Gordon and crew: this email posting does not constitute
any sort of intent to do anything.  It is mereley an excercise of my
constitutionally protected rights to freedom of speech.  Recall that
by the oath you have taken to protect and uphold the laws of the United
States of America when you first decided to work for the government, you
are required to protect defend my right to freedom of speech.

--
 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\