Declan McCullagh and prosecutions

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Apr 2 20:41:58 PDT 2001

At 11:18 PM -0400 4/2/01, Seth Finkelstein wrote:
>Declan McCullagh wrote:
>>  You appear to be intentionally misrepresenting the motion we filed
>>  last week as a way to make a personal attack. I understand your
>>  motive, but I don't care for it much.
>
>	I believe I understand why you think that. But note I've taken
>care to try to separate out the question I'm asking, from a personal
>moral criticism. That is, I'm not making a moral criticism of you. I'm
>asking why, logically, other people aren't making a moral criticism of
>you according to their framework.

I don't make a moral criticism of Declan because he doesn't appear to
have any choice in the matter. It's  not as if he could have simply
said "Fuck you" to either the Toto/CJ or the Bell subpoenas.

For instance, in cases where I have been subpoenaed, I have complied.
To do otherwise, to rot in jail on a contempt charge for several
years the way that D.C. chick did, is foolish.

I take it, Seth, that if you are ever subpoenaed you will do the
morally right thing and go to jail?

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns